Thursday, January 14, 2010

Beautiful Visitors

I like to look up words in the Thesaurus. Here are some synonyms for "bird" - feathered creature, fowl or game.

Now, what is black and white with a touch of red? My bird for the day, a male Rose-breasted Grosbeak and its latin name of Pheucticus ludovicianus. We like to learn the latin names for the common birds just because they are so much fun to say. I had never seen a bird like this until we had moved to the country. It is just so striking with the touch of rose on the snow white breast. I welcome it every spring just about Mother's day and it stays until late fall. It is a friendly bird and it lets you get pretty close to it before flying away so a photographers friend for sure. Hope you get the pleasure of seeing this beauty in the spring, I know I am really looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment